The Gorgas Library is named after Amelia Gayle Gorgas. Mrs. Gorgas "was the first female librarian on the campus, and the Amelia Gayle Gorgas Library was the first academic building at the University named for a woman." In its namesake, the Gorgas Library reflects the history of the campus, while its technology and services reflect the New South.
The Gorgas House, pictured below, is a Southern history landmark located next to Morgan Hall. Built in 1829, the house was the first building on the UA campus, and served as a hotel, dining hall, infirmary, and post office. It was later occupied by the Gorgas family, a family that included Civil War General Josiah Gorgas and Amelia Gayle Gorgas. The Gorgas House, as it is now called, has become a museum.